The Yoga of Meditation
The 3rd Chapter of Patañjali’s Yogasūtras
Meditation is the most powerful of Yoga’s many practices. It is the core tool of the transformational process of Yoga described by Patañjali in the Yogasūtra.
Chapter 3 explains Yoga’s approach to meditation including the what, how, and why of meditation. When we read and discuss Chapter 3 word-by-word, sūtra-by-sūtra, we learn a lot about the practical application of meditation and its importance in Yoga.
At the Yoga Well Institute, we believe that textual study is essential for all practitioners. If you want to “walk the talk,” you have to know what the talk is. Text is talk.
We also believe that, just as the Yogasūtra has been passed down from teacher to student for 1700 years, it is important to study the text with someone who has been trained in the experiential application of the text in their life.
Your life is not going to suddenly shift into a perfect world, because, after all, this is life. However, the way you perceive each experience along your journey, this is what will get you through even the toughest of times. This shift in perception is what is available through an in-depth study of the Yogasūtra.
Because of the depth of this course, there are two prerequisites. To participate in this course, you must:
- Have completed a word-by-word study of Chapters 1 and 2 of Patañjali’s Yogasūtra with a teacher in the Viniyoga tradition
- Maintain a daily yoga practice under the ongoing guidance of a yoga mentor (click here to find a mentor)
Begins: March 14th, 2019
Date/Time: Thursday at 5pm PT for 1 hour
Duration: 2 years
Location: This is a pre-recorded class that can be viewed via your Student Portal, allowing you to take class wherever you are in the world
Monthly payments of $127 for 16 months, billed to you automatically.
One-time payment of $1697 – that’s over 15% savings!
What You Will Learn
Every week, for approximately 16 months, Chase will translate Chapter 3, word-by-word from Sanskrit to English, and explore and discuss the concepts found in the Yogasūtra, allowing you to see their real-world applications.
Topics that will be covered include:
- Anatomy of the different stages of meditative experience.
- How meditation actually transforms us and helps us develop clarity.
- Different categories of meditation objects.
- How to think about approaching the selection of meditation objects, including understanding the process of change and how to utilize it for both transformation & realization.
- Understanding what is possible through meditation (and what is not).
- Understanding the goals of meditation.
This level of participation means that the student’s experiences control the pace of the program. To go word-by-word in translation and study, the class is expected to take between 14-16 months.
Private Online Community
Who This Course is For
- Students who’ve already studied Patañjali’s Yogasūtra and are interested in going deeper.
- Meditators who are interested in understanding Meditation from the perspective of Yoga
In 1991, as part of a study abroad program in Chennai, India, Chase took a semester-long course on Yoga Theory with Mr. TKV Desikachar that essentially set the direction for the rest of his life. He became a private student of Mr. Desikachar, who was his mentor and teacher for 20+ years. During that time, he spent a total of four and a half years in Chennai studying with him, his family and his senior teachers. He also had the opportunity to serve as a teacher at the Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram. From 2006-2012, he was the Director of Therapy and Education at the non-profit Healing Yoga Foundation in San Francisco.
His depth of knowledge on yoga and meditation are shared through practical, humorous anecdotes that translate to everyday life.
No need to worry with our 30 day, no questions asked, money-back guarantee.
At the Yoga Well Institute, we are committed to our students and ensuring this life-changing work is available to all. If finances are the only thing preventing you from enrolling, we invite you to complete our financial aid application and we’ll do our best to work with you.